NONE

NONE

Friday, August 12, 2011

Another one!

Okay, I'll stop after this, promise! ... Maybe! A lot of these will probably be the same as my last post, sorry. :(

What type of diabetes do you have: Type 1 Insulin Dependent, or Juvenile Diabetes

When were you diagnosed: Somewhere between August 25th-28th 2000. I can't remember the exact date though!

What's your current blood sugar: I tested about 5 mins ago and I was 3.5. Methinks I need a snackie before bed!

What kind of meter do you use: I have JUST switched to a Onetouch meter that works with my insulin pump. I like the technology, but HATE the strips. Seriously, I need like a gallon of blood for every strip. I was on freestyle before that, which I loved. It had this handy little light on it which was great for testing at night. I also used a contour USB meter occasionally which isn't bad! I still have close to 100 of those strips. I'm going to use those up to clear them up and then switch primarily over to onetouch, with freestyle as a backup when I don't want to carry the massive ping meter!

How many times a day do you test your blood sugar: 5 as a minimum, and that's on a lazy weekend day where I don't wake up until noon. I would say 8-15 on average though. Going to be in the higher range now that my pump can remind me to test!

What's a "high" number for you: I consider a high over 8, but I don't get too concerned about it usually until I'm over 10. I never used to correct anything below 10 on shots because it was such a hassle. Now I'm going to correct pretty much anything over 7-8 down to 6.

What's do you consider "low": I would say 3.8, but I start to consider myself going 'low' at around 4.0

What's your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater: I like juice because it's quick and easy and I know exactly what I'm consuming carb wise. But sometimes at work I'll buy a thing of sour candies to keep in my desk if I'm low and that works pretty well too!

Describe your dream endo: I am REALLY happy with my current endo! I am probably the most annoying patient because I am always e-mailing between visits with questions and concerns, but oh well. She's pretty great.

What's your biggest diabetes achievement: My mountain trips. People seem pretty impressed by it, and I must say altitude mixed with blood sugars is NOT fun to handle! I also am soo happy that my A1C is staying stable, and hopefully with my pump I can get it below 6.0!

What's your biggest diabetes-related fear: Maybe I should be more scared, but I'm not. Occasionally I worry that I'm going to die younger than I should, but I feel like I'm too young to worry about that. All I can do is my best right now, and deal with whatever happens when it happens.

Who's on your support team: Jamie knows my diabetes really well and always helps me with my math because I suck at doing it in my head (I'm loving the calculator built into the pump!!) and my Mom is not quite as knowledgeable on my diabetes as she used to be (for obvious reasons) but she still listens to me talk about it all the time, which I appreciate! I have a great clinic at the hospital that I'm attending to help me with preparation for pregnancy, and I know so many other T1D's that know exactly what I'm going though, which is also great. There is always someone to help out.

Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime: Well, when I got diagnosed I always heard '10 years'... We're now at 11 and it doesn't look like it's working. I am doubtful because diabetes is a big money maker. How many people would be out of jobs if there were no longer $1 each test strips, $7000 insulin pumps etc etc. But who knows, maybe one day!

What is a "cure" to you: My pancreas working. I don't want to be hooked up to an 'automatic' insulin pump, that doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not cured if I am not living like exactly like a non-diabetic.

The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes is: There are many, but when people assume they know what I should be doing nutritionally it's pretty bad. I was talking about how energy drinks are bad for you and a guy I know said 'yeah, and it really hurts you more because you're diabetic'... Uhhh no. A sugarfree beverage doesn't effect my diabetes, thanks for coming out. I had someone ask me if I was going to leave the room to take an injection recently as well. Believe it or not, I'm not going to hide in the bathroom to stick a tiny 6mm needle in my tummy.

What is the most common misconception about diabetes: That type 1 and type 2 are the same thing.

If you could say one thing to your pancreas, what would it be: If you're not going to work anyways, can I just get rid of you? A pancreas has to weigh what, 5 lbs? That's an easy weight loss technique!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment